Now you can Instantly Chat with Bryan!
I have 20+ years of experience and knowledge in a wide variety of technologies and a record of success in Technical Leadership roles. I have spent several years in customer facing roles with a dedication to perfection in delivery. And I have been ...Show More
Data & Analytics
comprehensive evaluation and staff augmentation
Performed a comprehensive evaluation and staff augmentation of the IT department. The collective
skillset was evaluated and the staff modified and expanded to right size the talent base to meet the
new goals for the business. The resulting IT Team was highly effective and within a year, 2018 was
recognized by Microsoft for innovation in Power BI. The team would be recognized 2019 for innovation
with Starlims in the Cloud by Abbott Informatics.
• Tasked by Precision Leadership to perform a configuration overhaul in the Lab LIMS installation
of Starlims that was performing poorly and affecting the business. The Parallel Build and Cutover
Methodology was utilized to complete the overhaul with minimal interruption to the Lab. The parallel
LIMS implementation mirrored production and allowed for the the isolation of the configuration
problems so they could be fixed and tested in the parallel system. Once validated, the corrected code
was moved into Production, function by function, The overhaul was completed and the result was
that the Lab went from struggling to process 1,000 orders/samples per day to 3,000 per day with the
growth capacity for 10,000+.
• Lead the adoption and implementation of industry recognized Standards and Best Practices
including Change Management, CAB, On Call and Escalation, Crisis Management and a Technical
Liaison function for fostering partnerships with technical vendors like Abbott Informatics, the creator
and owner of Starlims. These partnerships resulted in improved support in all technical areas. The
partnership with Abbott resulted in improvement in systems stability, internal and external support
and an improvement of usability.
• Implemented SQL Server Reporting Services as alternative to Crystal Reports in Starlms to address
an alignment issue in Crystal Reports.Directed the conversion of the current reports to SSRS and
worked with Abbott Informatics to implement support for SSRS. Currently Precision is the only
customer of Abbott Informatics with an alternative reporting engine.
• Architected the Sync, a solution I created to provide a mirror copy of the Starlims production data,
updated real time to a Precision Data Warehouse in Azure. This solution features an independent
synchronization engine that utilizes SQL Replication and Amazon Database Migration Services (DMS)
to perform real time database updates from the hosted production Lab data in Starlims (AWS) to
a Precision Data Warehouse in Azure. The synchronized production data is the basis for Analytics
for the business and was mined to produce multiple data feeds, many types of reports and custom
dashboards for users via Power BI.
SQL Server consolidation project
Performed successful SQL Server consolidation project that reduced the number of SQL servers
needed by 40% through a comprehensive study of utilization, performance, configuration and
application integration on production SQL Database Servers across all of HPE's customers.
• Defended HPE customer Jimmie Dean Sausage against a $4 million fine from the USDA for alleged
malfeasance on manufacturing servers. Provided proof demonstrated in open court that the USDA
finding was invalid, the court agreed. The fine was overturned resulting in a savings of $4 million to the
• Recommended and implemented a change to using Shared SQL instances on Clustered SQL Servers
versus individual SQL Servers resulting in improved performance, manageability and support while
reducing overall expense across the environments.
• Slashed the frequency and number of high priority trouble tickets logged against the SQL Server
Production environment by establishing a baseline for Standards and Best Practices for SQL Server and
applying it comprehensively across the environment. The result was the reduction of system-based P1
and P2 tickets from an average of 8-10 per month to almost zero and a 99.95% up time.
• Planned and executed a comprehensive migration of the North American and European SQL Server
infrastructures to the HP Data Center in Suwanee, Georgia. Utilizing the correct methodology the team
achieved a 100% first strike success rate with the migrations and with zero down time.
• Rebuilt and restructured the Test, Development and Quality Assurance environments for all of HPE's
customers with solid processes to keep them current with production.
• Resolved a manufacturing system crisis for HPE customer Sara Lee Bakery during a peak production
period in October of 2010. Assigned to an emergency break fix by HPE Management, I was able to
uncover critical configuration problems that, when corrected resulted in an improvement of query
processing for the pie making operation, reducing it from 45 minutes to less than 1 minute. This
improvement allowed for significant gains in the efficiency of the customers manufacturing process
and garnered me the role of SQLServer SME.
• Revitalized the Data Warehouse installations and reporting structures for the customer allowing for
dramatic performance improvement and the addition of multiple data feeds for enhanced reporting.
• Corrected numerous Production issues in SQL database installations for critical applications through
methodical troubleshooting of database structures, index improvements and modifications to key
• Added value and functionality by centralizing the SQL Server databases for several critical
applications by moving to a Distributed Processing Model.
• Improved the SQL Server Security Model by utilizing Windows Integrated Security and Active
Directory Group membership to control user access to SQL Server databases. This allowed for a
reduction in the lead time needed by the Help Desk when granting user access and improved customer
• Redesigned the Sara Lee Bread Delivery functionality using SQL Replication to provide daily delivery
orders and tracking to drivers using hand held tracking devices. Nightly inventory and order updates
optimized through the use table partitioning and the utilization of multiple, independent I/O channels.
• Worked with Bimbo Bread to implement an Enterprise Sharepoint Installation with significant Binary
Large Object (BLOB) storage utilizing SQL File Stream and remote SAN storage.
• Overhauled the SQL Backup Model utilized throughout the SQL environment, moving from hot-totape,
agented type backups to local SQL disk to disk backups today Network File Shares that were later
backed up to tape. Improved the recovery time and ease of the restoration process and provided a
better overall recovery time against the SLA.
• Created a strategy to eliminate blocking and locking through Snapshot Isolation, optimized TEMP DB
performance, performed a comprehensive Index analysis and tuning.
• Member of the HP Technical Advisory Board responsible for the Change Control Lifecycle for changes
to Production SQL Servers. Responsible for approving, vetting and overseeing changes to all Production
SQL instances for HPE customers.
• Provided SQL Database performance improvements for Microsoft Operations Manager, VMware
Virtual Center, HP Systems Insight Manager, Radius, Trace, LIMS, Shilo, Optim, Autonomy, Workplace
Integra and JDA.
• Performed deep dive troubleshooting on Trace application utilized by HPE customer Sara Lee at
their headquarters in Chicago resulting in critical base code changes that returned the application
functionality and usability.
SkillsMicrosoft SQL Server
core Windows Infrastructure
Responsible for core Windows Infrastructure, Active Directory, 600+Windows File Servers and 350+
SQL Servers in the US and Canada. Duties include architecture, deployment, performance tuning,
troubleshooting, monitoring and support of Windows and SQL Servers in the Infrastructure.
• Tasked by 7-Eleven Leadership to redesign and improve the credit card processing being performed
by SQL Servers. There was an extreme processing backlog due to poor performance from the database
and revenue was not being realized.. A monetary bonus was being offered to the company by the
credit card companies if 7-Eleven could catch up in 3 weeks.Corrections were implemented on the
database server and performance improved to allow for the backlog to be eliminated within the 3 week
period and the bonus was awarded.
• Implemented Standards and Best Practices for SQL Server.
• Implemented Standards and Best Practices for Windows Servers.
• Improved the SQL Server Security Model by utilizing Windows Integrated Security and Active
Directory group membership to control user access to SQL Server Databases. This allowed for a
reduction in the lead time needed by the Help Desk when granting user access.
• Implemented Virtualization through the use of VMware and Virtual SQL Hosts to reduce the amount
of hardware in use and improve manageability.
• Managed Data Center Operations for 7-Eleven the AT&T Data Center in Allen, Texas
Global Helpdesk project
Member of the Global Windows Server Team responsible for a 500+ Server Infrastructure in an
Enterprise environment for North America, Paris, Canada and Asia.
• Key player in the initial Global Active Directory design, build and deployment.
• Responsible for 150+ Production SQL Servers supporting the Prescription lens manufacturing
processes in North America, Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Thailand and Dijon, France.
• Managed Global Helpdesk project to develop and deploy the Global Help Desk.
• Developed Manufacturing Control Database for Polycarbonate Lens creation and inventory control
utilizing a SQL Server back-end for the application.
• Worked with Development Team to design Vision Web, an automated system that allows Eye Doctors
the ability to capture patient's prescription measurements for No-Line Bifocal lenses and place the
order directly with the factory through a Web Portal. Vision Web has become the World-Wide Standard
• Standardized the SQL Server Security authentication model utilizing Windows Integrated Security
Logins for SQL Servers enabling the use of Active Directory Group Membership to control user access
to SQL Server resources. This standardization minimized the lead time for granting user access and for
the access control to SQL databases to be wholly owned by the Help Desk.
• Designed and built the first known virtual, multi-node Windows Cluster running SQL Server used for
the Test, Development and Quality Assurance functions.
• Virtualized the Quality Assurance, Test and Development SQL Server Environments using shared
Windows Cluster Servers running on Vmware.
• Managed Project to design, build and implement a SQL Server-based solution to automate the
manufacturing control for contact lenses.
• Designed, developed and deployed SQL Server-based Master Inventory and Asset Control Systems
with real-time Change Management, system configuration control and reporting.
• Worked with the Retail division of HP to implement SQL database functionality and stability
improvements in System Insight Manager.
SkillsAccess Control Systems
• Managed a team of 5 Network Professionals controlling 85 Windows, Novell Netware and SQL Server
File Servers Nationwide and supported a user base of 2,000+.
• Created, deployed and maintained the original Windows PC image used by the various departments.
• Lead the first Client-Server implementation in the Dallas Division and subsequently led the rollout to
other the divisions including San Francisco, Chicago, Tennessee, Houston and Clinton, Maryland.
• Designed and created a custom Inventory Control database to track Video Tape, finishing and
shipping supplies that was adopted by the other divisions.
• Project Manager for 4 Business System migrations from Novell to UNIX, utilizing Xerox Chess, from
UNIX to as400, and finally from Novell Netware to Windows NT.
• Worked with Operations and Customer Service to establish the baseline and database for Help Desk
• Responsible for all Nationwide LAN/WAN operations including user support, hardware, software
installation/configuration, File Servers, WAN connectivity, remote user support and user training.
• Established remote connectivity for field workers through the use of Citrix Metaframe and MS
• Developed the guidelines for standardization of IT operations and user support.
• Achieved 30?ficiency improvement in manufacturing environment through better utilization of
computer software and methods of production.